Saturday, April 21, 2012

SPriest/UHDK/HPal

Hey everyone, a Shadow Priest joined my guild recently so we decided to try a Shadow Priest/Holy Pally/Unholy DK (me) Shadowcleave-ish set up in 3v3. We started off pretty shaky and ran a number of losses at first, but we finally got into a groove of sorts and started winning the majority of the matches by the end of the night.

I enjoyed the comp, and I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this set up. If so, do you have any strategies/tactics/suggestions? As the Unholy DK, I tend to have the most success just jumping on the enemy healer and taking them out as quickly as possible (with the SPriest Mana Burning them when he can). Some comps make that very difficult - especially when they CC/Stun the Pally (and Unholy Frenzy is on CD OR UF is unable to break the CC/Stun/etc. in question) and focus the SPriest - and despite how much I love Death Grip and Chains of Ice, they aren't always enough to successfully peel off of him. Sometimes I get incapacitated while the enemy goes to town on the Priest and Pally. Maybe the Pally isn't using his Hands of ___ or other abilities enough?

We haven't had too many problems with comps like RLS, RMP, and RLP (losses to those comps tended to be the result of stupid mistakes on our part), our biggest problems seemed to be with TSG-style comps, as well as 2x Frost Mage/Healer comps. Should we try and keep the healer shut down while we work on the DPS, as opposed to trying to down the healer first? Should we start out on the DPS and hard swap to the healer? Do any UHDK/SPriest/HPally abilities "synergize" particularly well? Any and all ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you.

Side note: the Ruthless gear I have on in my armory right now isn't the gear I run Arenas with, it's just a back up set I use when I want to run Frost in Battlegrounds so I don't have to reforge all my Cata gear. Just wanted to explain that it's not my gear that's holding us back.
Don't know much about how specific comps work but I did some reading on it when I tried it once last season. UHDK/spriest/X is called unholyplay, btw, in case you wanted to read up on it yourself. From what I could see you're basically supposed to utilize grip to get as many fearbombs as possible. I tried it once last season, but not for very long because my priest kept getting owned and there was nothing I could do about it.
Bump, want to hear more about this myself.
I ran unholyplay to 2k and it was probably the most fun i had running anything in 3s ever.

It's very strong comp, and very rare to find. and it is definitely not easy to run.

When it comes down to it, you hardly ever go for the healer. as you move on higher in rating, they will start cc'ing both your priest and your pally, and you will end up being the kill target since you HAVE to connect to catch your target. Kiteable target = easy kill and no damage being put out by the one being kited.

So yes, you guys need to be on a dps for the most part. if their healer decides to be a hero and run in for cc, its a great time to do one of two things: grip into fearbomb, or grip into a hard switch.

and if you have not had trouble with RMP and RLS, then you havent faced the good ones yet. Good rmp's and rls's will target you and cc the crap out of your pally and priest. especially RLS since its a huge counter to unholyplay. for melee cleaves, TSG shouldnt be a huge problem considering you have bop from the paladin and you as the unholy dk putting out soooo much pressure.

So if you do face TSG, the dk is the kill target if hes frost. if hes unholy, kill the warrior. there have been countless times where my shadow priest demolished a warrior with a fully orbed mind blast with archangel combined with shadow word death. remember to grip when a warrior charges to give your priest time to run. you have freedom from the pally so your priest can run and the TSG has no offensive dispels whatsoever. im assuming you have tons of desecration on the ground so the warrior and dk cant move very well.

give the priest time to cast, use your cc chain...i normally did hoj, into priest silence, into grip fear bomb and that does it. strangulate is a last resort cc since it has such a long cooldown.

This comp is very strong, but it requires a lot of skill to run properly past 2k.

TL;DR -

just work down a dps, and cc the healer. your comp out lasts those melee cleaves, but it wont outlast a shadowplay or lock/sham team.
Thank you for all of your replies, especially you, Lolnecrospam.

Yeah, I guess some of the RMP/RLS teams we beat weren't the greatest and made some pretty stupid mistakes. When I face RLS (or most teams with a Lock, for that matter) I tend to skip the healer and go straight for the Lock, otherwise the match quickly turns into a nightmare. Same with Mages, depends on the comp.

We haven't had a chance to get more matches in yet since we were running DS last night, but hopefully we'll be at it again today - I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes and what worked/what didn't work. Thanks again for the advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment