Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Masterfrost, am I doing it right?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-94t3g0ro0w477gj4/sum/damageDone/?s=3293&e=3710

Is the only log that I have of myself while playing masterfrost. I decided to reforge out of expertise and into mastery as much as possible, with haste as my next stat. My general rotation was to OB when 2 uh runes up, frost strike if over 100 RP, Rime, frost strike if over 70 RP, Howling Blast if under 50 RP. Mind you this is during blackhorn so the only time I could consistently keep this going was on phase 2. My reasoning for dropping expertise seems rather obvious, I have the opportunity to attack the back of everything except for the twilight drakes on this fight. Having extra mastery makes my howling blast hit like a truck, so it compensates for missed hits anyways. I'm curious for any input on my gear, WoL, or rotation. Cheers!
I would really love some accurate data on a comparison between the standard Frost rotation and the Masterfrost rotation.

Whilst obviously I can't make great use of it, from what I've seen, read and heard, the extra dps you may get from the playstyle isn't nearly worth the punishment you'll face for screwing it up.

But how much "extra" dps - if any - are we actually talking, here?
It looks to me like you are playing "Shadowfrost" not masterfrost.

Shadowfrost - A dps rotation in which, you use both Frost & Death runes for HB, and rotate between PS, DND & OB (while keeping up 1 unholy rune so RE gives more HB's)

Masterfrost - The Same exact thing as normal frost, except played with less haste. This spec will sometimes, when faced with bad RNG use a set of runes on Howling blast, to keep Resources up and avoid a large dead-zone time where you have no resources. Good RNG permitting, however, it is played the exact same as normal frost. The key here is if you manage resources well enough, the extra mastery will out-damage the loss of haste.

With that said :

No. you are not doing it right. You only obliterated 13 times that fight. You generated enough runic power to frost strike over 100 times, but only frost striked 56.
You should not drop expertise for masterfrost. The only fight dropping expertise is advised is spine of deathwing. This is because the tendon you attack cannot dodge/parry, and you need a large amount of burst (in heroic) on the tendon to successfully complete the fight.
Thanks for your input, Turleb. I kind of took on the masterfrost idea about an hour before raid, just thinking that cleaving more at times would lead to extra dps. I'll do what I can to get my stats where they should be. I think it's weird that how I played the fight worked for me, but that's just probably due to almost constant aoe damage.
http://www.simulationcraft.org/430/Death_Knight_T13H_stylecomparison.html

comparison of the 2h unholy and top 3 ways to play dw frost
Thanks for that, sumregis, it's nice to see it compared :)
http://www.simulationcraft.org/430/Death_Knight_T13H_stylecomparison.html

comparison of the 2h unholy and top 3 ways to play dw frost


Thanks for this. Just basing off the Sims alone makes the playstyle completely unworthy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment