Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Unholy and Mastery

I know the order of Stats for Unholy is Strength, Hit, Haste, Crit, Mastery, Expertise...

lately, I've been doing more testing on reforging, trying to squeeze that lil' bit extra from my dps.
If I use Wowreforge, The tool has me taking away either Haste of Crit on some gear for Mastery.
If I use the standard protocol, such as makiing sure I'm hit capped, Then gear that has no haste, reforge the Lowest Priority stat to add haste, etc..
With Mastery, Unholy get the "Dreadblade" effect with increases our Shadow dmg. Meanwhile, the benefit from crit mainly relies on our pet's attack...
The point, I was seeing bigger numbers on the meters with more mastery due to shadow dmg compared to the dmg I see from timmy, Even after he transforms and crit increases..
The most I've been able to squeeze out of the unholy spec is around 47K..But I average 32K..
I love the play style compared to Frost, But would expect better numbers from the build.
If you have a moment, take a look at my gear, Perhaps I'm overlooking something.
Also, What are your thoughts on Mastery for Unholy DK's?
with gurth from madness mastery's value tends to shoot up quite a bit as the tentacles mind flay scales quite well with your mastery.
from the quick look i just gave you, you have too much crit, reforge crit to mast/haste where you can. with gurth mastery is slightly better than crit, not leaps and bounds but better for the proc. weights add up to around 2.19 for mastery and 2.11 for crit so not crazy awesome sauce but better. sometimes you take from a certain stat in places and add to it in others to get a better overall result, that is how wowreforge usually works for me, you can see on my gear i've taken mastery off some places for better stats and reforged to it in most other places.
Yeah, I'm aware that at times, Wowreforge will take a stat from one piece of gear and add it to another to better optimize.
And I can understand Mastery benefiting Mind Flays when gurth procs.
What has me puzzled:
1) Gurth does not seem to proc very often. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
2) When Timmy Transforms, My Crit ratings are over 30%. Seems Timmy should be getting more crit hits. But looking at meters, That is not the case.
When I use Wowreforge, I normally set Cap #1 as Hit, Exactly to 961, then I use Cap #2 for Haste, Close to 2000, Cap #3, I normally set Crit with no value.
What stats do you feel I should use to get a better Optimization from my gear?
when i use wowreforge, or my ingame tool that is quite helpful reforgelite, i only set hit to ~961, a little over is no problem to me, i think im at 8.03 right now. using the current stat weights on wowreforge for an unholy dk, though lower than what they should be still works. i unchecked and deselected exp and optimized and left everything else and use at least 961 for hit. i feel like that gives me a little more leeway with my stats instead of trying to hard hit 8. the weights are lower but using myself as a test on the lower weights still yeilded exactly the same reforges that i have now when i initially used the higher weights that can be found on the unholy page here or elitist jerks.

here's what i got for you:
http://wowreforge.com/US/Lightning%27s%20Blade/Scarzo

as for gurth not procing often thats just rng being rng. sometimes it can be positioning, like ultraxion, if you dont stand close enough to the dragon tenetacles won't hit and there goes a portion of your damage. the way i look at it is unholy is about sustained dps not bursty/critty dps so even with 30% crit you won't see large numbers all that often from you or your ghoul.
Agree, Positioning is everything..
One thing I did notice on the link you posted from Wowreforge.
It suggest adding more crit.
Currently, My crit score is 1787. after reforging with the weigth's you had, the crit score added another 148 with a total of 1935.
While it did add more for my haste, It took over 500 away from mastery. Lowering my mastery score to 1030, down from 1571.
I may check out reforgelite, see what kind of results I get. I've used reforgenator in the past, and found that it can give crappy results, such as Mr.Robot.
wowreforge was doing what it's supposed to. If you have it set to it's default it will have crit ahead of mastery. That is why you lost so much and it was moved in crit. You'd have to adjust the stat weights manually to make it work. So for example for DW Frost it still defaults to the stat weights from Firelands. So I have to type in the numbers to update it when I want to correct it. Also as was mentioned having to remove the expertise one cause it will want to cap you regardless not knowing how unimportant expertise is for unholy. But as a tool to help get the most out of the stats on your gear? It's a good one. It can even at times get your hit right on the button and find ways to increase your stats that you wouldn't have found even experimenting on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment